Week 13: Entry#21

 Monday, November 20, 2020

Blog Entry#21

    Since the holidays are coming up, we have been seeing a lot of social media advertisements on many things to buy for friends and family. recently I have already gotten a few things on my list to buy for my friends and family members for the holidays. I have to admit that these past two weeks I've been using social media to help me not just to find gift ideas, but I've been shopping for myself. Recently I decided to get a second job, and it's been cool to earn more money and save most of it. But after a few weeks of getting a second job, I started to see that I was getting stressed out with keeping up with two jobs, school work, applying to universities, and spending time with my family. To relieve this stress that I had I spent a lot of my time on social media, while I was on TikTok I saw a video for a business called Truly, which is a vegan and clean beauty skin care line. The video that I saw that inspired me to buy some of their products, the video was showing how to get the softest legs ever, in the video, they showed their exfoliator, shaving cream, and their body butter. The set up of their video had everything that captured my attention, the music was nice, the bathroom in the video was really pretty, how they packaged their products were really pretty, just overall their aesthetic was nice. So of course I bought all three products from the video, because after just watching one video and then watching a few more of their videos of their products I was hooked. I ended up buying the exfoliator, shaving cream, body butter, black jelly blemish treatment body serum, even though my bank account wasn't happy with me, my stress was slowly chipping away because I bought something for myself. The reason why I bought most of this stuff is that the video that showed the products looked relaxing, and to be relaxed was something that I needed. 

   After buying Truly beauty products I kept on seeing their videos not just on TikTok but even on Instagram. I also saw videos from other businesses from businesses similar to Truly. It's kind of odd that my social media accounts knew that I was feeling pretty stressed out, even though I didn't even look up things related to relieving stress. I can see the good and the bad side of businesses using these algorithms to get more customers. I think we have to remember that one of the main ideas of advertising was billboards. everywhere you'd go you would see these billboards used for advertising, and then magazines/newspapers had ads, and finally, the T.V. became popular and we got commercials. all of these ads were seen by millions of people, and eventually after seeing these ads all the time people started buying the products. I think that the power of advertising got even more powerful with the help of social media platforms and it's going to get even more powerful and more complicated down the road.


Comments